Monday, September 7, 2026

Welcome to Fall 2026

 

Welcome to San Juan College Tap: An Encore Feature

The purpose of this website is to provide extra practice for our tap class. You can also find the same information in Canvas. 

Introduction

Hi! I'm Marilee Herman.

I have been teaching tap at San Juan College upwards of 15 years--I am honestly losing count. I also teach English and Composition at Farmington High School and San Juan College. Tap classes are my hobby and my therapy. The purpose of this class is to have fun, get exercise, build new skills, make friends, fight cognitive decline, and participate in a semester-end performance. 


Class Schedule

This semester, the class schedule will be as follows in the dance room of the HHPC

Tuesdays 4:00-5:10 Beginner Practice and Choreography to "A Christmas Tree Farm" by Taylor Swift.

Thursdays 4:00-5:10 Accelerated Beginner Practice and Choreography to "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton. (How could we NOT take the chance to honor that amazing woman???!?)

Class Expectations

Students should wear tap shoes and dress comfortably for movement. However, additional dance attire is not required. 

Everyone is welcome at ALL classes, but Tuesday's classes will be slower and more basic, while on Thursdays we will speed things up a bit. All steps WILL be broken down and taught in each class for each number, and I am confident that with a little moxie, every student will be able to learn both dances. However, please participate at your comfort level! 

I have tried to design the class to meet a variety of skill levels and I expect respect and attention at each class you attend, regardless of your skill level compared to the activity. If you find the combinations or practice sessions too basic, please have the consideration of other students to not devolve into side conversations. In addition, while supporting one another is a GREAT aspect of this class, please allow me to teach the steps fully and answer questions before offering your tutelage to other students; too many voices and instructions can be confusing for beginners. If you have an alternate perspective on a step, please share it with me and then we can share with the whole class.  

Performance

In the fall, we participate in the San Juan County Holiday Spectacular fund raiser sponsored by the San Juan Foundation.

Wednesday:  December 2, 2026: Stage time and practice. Time TBA

Friday: December 4, 2026 :Performance (7:00 pm) and Dress Rehearsal (Time TBA)

You will need black slacks and a black SJC Tap t-shirt that you can purchase from me for $10.

I may provide additional costuming accessories. 

Attendance:

This class is an enrichment class, therefore attendance is not required. However, if you plan to miss, I appreciate a text or message: we start to worry when you aren't here!

Grading

As a SJC class, I am required to assign you a grade, but since it is a non-credit enrichment class grades will either be S=satisfactory or U=unsatisfactory. If you attend class, participate, and communicate with me about the times you miss, I will happily assign you a Satisfactory grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment